Thursday, September 3, 2009

With Adjusted Carbs Heidi's Heading South Again

Brianna will be driving Heidi down to Radford, VA today to spend the weekend with her boyfriend. I'm praying I don't get any "rescue me" phone calls.

Last night I gave Heidi the once-over in preparation for the trip. I made sure the rear suspension was still as it should be. This in response to the mishap in the driveway a couple weeks back (see 8/22/09 entry on this blog entry). I checked the air pressure in the tires including the spare. Then I pulled out the dwell-meter, timing light, and a flathead screwdriver and checked the dwell (rock solid at 31 degrees) and timing (12 degrees BTDC{Before Top Dead Center}). After which I adjusted the carburetors per this method. The engine idles nicely at 550 rpm when in Drive.

At some point I need to ask Brianna to figure out what kind of gas mileage Heidi's getting. I know she doesn't pay attention to that kind of thing. Speaking of gas mileage, I'm finally back over 20 mpg for Lucy. For a couple tank-full’s of gas, the tire were underinflated. It shouldn't surprise me that low tire pressure could drop the mileage by more than 15%. I need to be more vigilant.

1 comment:

  1. Brianna does too pay attention to gas mileage. She told me that Heidi typically gets 20 mpg with her mixed city/hwy usage. In fact, she just reported 23 mpg during mostly 65+ mph driving on the interstate.

    ReplyDelete