Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Probably a Hoax Not A Hoax

I received two intriguing e-mails late last night offering to sell me a ’66 V8 Corvair. Here’s the body of the ad:

I HAVE A 66 CORVAIR V-8 AVAILABLE. I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP IT IN THE "FAMILY", (CORSA MEMBERS}. WELL DONE, SOLID CAR, VERY FAST. MY NAME IS EARL GRAY, MEMBER # 03113. HARD TO FIND PARTS, AND LOT'S OF LITERATURE GO WITH CAR. I LIVE IN PARKVILLE MD 21234. LET'S TALK

In both cases the sender went on to include a phone number and a reply-to e-mail address – the same in each e-mail.

Initially, I was skeptical of them, but some sleuthing this morning has given me some hope that it’s on the up-and-up. A few Google searches on the e-mail addresses and sender’s names turned up that sender #1 was, indeed from Parkville. So, I replied to the included e-mail address and am now waiting for a response.

Regardless, the words, “WELL DONE” and “VERY FAST” indicate to me that this vehicle will be out of my price range unless the seller really wants to sacrifice $$$ to ‘KEEP IT INT THE “FAMILY”’.

The following photo is one I pulled off the web just to illustrate the insanity of how close a V8 ‘vair’s engine is to the driver.


UPDATE: I just received the following e-mail:

I will try to get some pictures sent to you sometime today; this was a spur of the moment decision. I paid $8500 for the car several years ago, and had it shipped here from Texas. It was basically a shell and a motor. I spent a lot of time getting it "street" legal. Except for the 302 Z-28 motor in the back seat area, and the Chevy 14" rallys it looks stock. Sounds good too. It's silver with stock black interior. It has a stock am/fm radio, and optional stereo multiplex these I did not get around to testing or wiring up, a stock Corsa dash and glove box with original paint. I also have a complete telescoping steering column and steering box, I did not get around to installing. It has drum brakes, I have the disc brake conversion brackets. The radiator is under the rear deck lid with two puller fans, I don't care for the front mounted Kelmark version. I have a lot of other parts and a whole bunch of literature, everything I have will go with car. As far as price goes, I don't expect anywhere near my original purchase price. So I say, LETS TALK. Feel free to call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment