Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Entire Fleet Is Grounded Until Further Notice

For the first time since November 27, 2005 no member of my family is relying upon a Corvair for transportation. Let me repeat that. The run of over eight years where I HAD to have at least one Corvair roadworthy has come to an end. See the Car Status sidebar.

About a month ago, I told Ariel that Ringo was not roadworthy anymore. She was granted temporary usage of the truck, while I pressed Glinda back into daily-driver duty. Two weeks later Ariel bought a Honda CR-V. Her life has already dramatically changed – no more “creepy, old guys” approaching her at gas stations; no more people yelling at her at stoplights about their mom owning one of those; and, most importantly, no more dreading the impending (and inevitable) Baltimore Beltway breakdown.

While it was nice to experience normal throttle performance again, Glinda’s failing transmission was utterly annoying. Left-hand turns of any magnitude prompted a downshift. This was really upsetting when I was doing 50 on an offramp. It got to the point where I had to pop the shifter into Neutral before coasting through and then put it back into Drive once we were straightened out.

With all four members of the fleet congregated in my garage and driveway, it’ll be interesting to see which one will be first to make its way back onto the road.

Coincident to the V8 Corvair e-mail, I also received the announcement of an upcoming track day. This one just two hours away at the New Jersey Motorsport Park. All (and I emphasize “all” in a significantly sarcastic way) I need to do before then is finish Glinda’s 4-speed swap and get a helmet. I have all the way until September 8 to do what needs to be done.

Speaking of the V8 Corvair e-mail, I received a follow-up e-mail, so I’m convinced it’s not a hoax. However, while the seller said things like, “I don't expect anywhere near my original purchase price” and “LET’S TALK,” I can’t believe he’ll entertain the kind of offer my savings and the lovely Loriann would allow. Also, buying it would necessitate selling Glinda, and she needs work before that can happen. Oh well, time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment