Monday, May 2, 2011

Miscellaneous Catching Up

It’s been a while since I last posted, and much of that is due to a paucity of progress and no scarcity of regress. Part of my excuse (and it doesn’t help my attitude) is that I’ve been away from home the last two weekends. Granted, they’ve been wonderful visits to family and friends, but Ariel is no closer to having her beloved Ringo back on the road.

First, with the progress. Very little to report here so this won’t take up much space. I cut out, formed, and began the installation of a partial patch for under the right side of Ringo’s backseat. That’s it. Nothing more. Nada. Very troubling.

Now, with the regress. Sadly, that which pulls me back far exceeds that which gets me closer to the end of the tunnel. About a week ago Victoria reported that Glinda’s speedometer decided to permanently point to zero. I climbed under the dash and found the speedo cable was loose at its connection to the back of the gauge. Great, I thought. An easy fix. I tightened the nut and felt quite good about things. Later that evening, Victoria took her car out for an errand and came back with the bad news – “the needle still won’t move.” Irr. I haven’t looked any further, but I’m still holding out hope that I didn’t get the nut screwed down far enough. Next, I noticed the muffler hanger was hanging loose. A quick peek under Glinda’s rear showed the nut and stack of washers I’d installed when replacing her exhaust system were missing. Vibration is an effective force. Back to Ringo. Before I started to fashion floor patches, I again had to cut more of his floor’s rotted sheetmetal away. This time it was area under the right side of his back seat. Today’s photo shows how brutal I had to be. Not good.

On a positive note, however, I found a distributor in Betty’s engine compartment. It appears to have a nice shaft to bushing fit, so it’ll make for a nice spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment