Monday, May 9, 2011

The First Floor Patch

I neglected to post regarding the initial floor patch. Here it is:

Briefly; to make this patch, I used cardboard to create a template, traced the outline (including the corner cuts) onto the scrap hood, and cut it out. I formed the bend in the outboard and rear edges (just ballparked them), welded the inboard edge to the existing solid floorpan, and hammered the outboard bend until it fit flush with the floorpan. I couldn’t, however, get that edge to stay snug against the floorpan since I there’s no way to get clamps in that area, so I drilled some holes and used sheetmetal screws to temporarily hold the metal where it needed to be while I made molten metal. With the two side edges in place, I moved on to the complex rear edge. It took some more cutting and plenty of banging to get everything in place, but I’m satisfied with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment