Tuesday, February 26, 2013

You Must Tear Down Before You Build Up


Before I expound on last night’s escapades, I need to straighten out an error in terminology I’ve recently made. I’ve been referring to the crankcase cover as engine cover. According to General Motors, there is no engine cover in the Corvair engine. The top-most cover is called engine upper shroud. It appears the General has chosen the term “shroud” to apply to all sheetmetal pieces that contain or direct the blower’s air flow. I should really try to be terminologically correct when calling out parts. The shop manual’s names are those by which I shall use from now on. By the way, the Corvair blower is the large fan at the top center of the engine.

With a new set of crankcase cover gaskets added to the meter (fuel sender) order from Clark’s, I decided to spend my hour or so of last night’s garage time getting Ringo’s engine torn down to point of removing the crankcase cover. By 9 I had removed the carburetors and fuel pump as an assembly, the alternator, the idler, and then the dozen or so bolts holding the engine upper shroud in place. It took some wiggling, but I was able to remove that large piece of sheetmetal without pulling anything else off. The bolts retaining the crankcase were the last thing off before I quit for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment