Thursday, September 16, 2010

CPotD #151 (One Wacky Day Late)


Surprisingly it’s getting harder to come up with meaningful CPotDs. There are plenty of wonderful JPEGs out there of deserving Corvairs, but I’m trying to find ones that I can make a special connection to. That’s why this one’s a day late.

As a child I built quite a few models –planes, ships, and, of course, cars. While none of the latter were Corvairs, one of my favorites was a ’55 Chevy Gasser. I think it was probably the last one I undertook, so it turned out pretty nice. The most distinctive feature of a gasser was the raised front end over a solid front beam axle. The axle replaced the stock front suspension to cut down pounds thus improving weight transfer to rear when launching for those quarter mile runs.

Someone has applied all those gasser mods and much more to a ’64 Monza. Today’s CPotD was photographed for Street Rodder magazine at the Sixth Annual Rat Rod Rumble at 411 Dragway. Pretty wild, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment