Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Overdue Weekend Update

I wish there were other times in the week where I could be as productive as the weekend, but work and life keep getting in the way. Anyway, this last weekend was a nice one.

Saturday Victoria was tied up babysitting all day, but I spent a couple hours in the garage focused on finishing Glinda. The trunk and engine weatherstripping were number one on the agenda. I made sure all exposed metal and Bondo were primed with Rustoleum and then brushed on a nice, heavy coat of gloss black Rustoleum. At this point, protecting the metal that’s not seen is my highest priority. With the hood closed and the engine lid lowered, no one will know.

While letting the paint dry, I moved on to the front windshield sealing. The 3M black sealant in a caulking gun is a very tough squeeze. I hope the difficulty in applying is indicative of the quality of the seal. I finally got a nice bead laid in the groove and then used a glove-covered pinky to make sure it was forced into any gaps between window and car-body. That complete, I was finally able to remove the masking tape. I was concerned about leaving the tape on any longer since removing it from other parts of the car actually pulled some of the paint off the primer – big L. Careful pulling resulted in all the paint staying adhered. I then pre-assembled the stainless windshield trim and pressed and gently hammered (rubber malleted?) until all the clips had completely captured the lips of the trim pieces.

Sunday, Victoria and I were back at it. While I emptied and vacuumed the trunk, she cleaned all the backlight (rear window) trim. Then, after I emptied the tube of window sealant around the glass, she did the pinky pushing. Together we installed the trim. The clips were missing from the sides and it shows. The trim did not want to stay flush to the opening. I’ll have to pull the pieces back off and somehow get clips installed. We dinner time fast approaching we had just enough time to put down double-tracks of masking tape. The first track is where the re-paint will stop, the second, inner track, is where the primer will end. Once the primer is applied, we’ll pull off the inner track of tape and carefully sand off the ridge and scuff the paint before shooting the single-stage Tripoli Turquoise.

Speaking of paint, the lovely Loriann and her artist eye went to the paint store (Superior Auto Paint in Windsor Mill, MD – highly recommended) and got a quart of single-stage last week. The first batch the computer said would match the sample didn’t, but mixing to the GM code got us something VERY close. The paint guy gave her the “wrong” quart for free. Must’ve been her smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment