Monday, September 27, 2010

A One-of-a-Kind Anniversary Present

The lovely Loriann and I celebrated twenty-eight years of marriage last August the fourteenth. She had asked me prior to the special day what I’d like for an anniversary present. It took some thought, but as I was swapping Heidi’s engine lid, a posting on the Ferrari Craft blog surfaced from the depths of my inept memory. A photo of a restored Ferrari with a rectangular section carefully sanded to show all the different prior paintjobs was accompanied by an explanation of why a European restorer would leave this flaw on a million-dollar car. The blogger stated, “Europeans prefer to celebrate history, while many Americans prefer to erase it…”

Anyway, as I was deciding whether or not to send the slightly dented engine lid to the scrap bin, I was struck with how cool it would be to paint the part using the different colors I had leftover from previous paint jobs I’d done and then have my artist wife go at it with sanders to create a work of art. I shared my idea with her and she agreed it would be a very unique and special present.

Currently, the lid’s got a coat of primer, Heidi’s Glacier Gray, and, since the lid was in place when I shot Heidi’s current coat, there's a band of Summit Racing Silver around the outside edges. When I do any more paintjobs I’ll make sure it’s in the garage with me and gets a few coats of whatever I’m shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment