Thursday, July 7, 2011

Engine Assembly Continues

Well, it was one of those two steps forward, one step back things. Actually, it was more than two steps, so I’ll call the evening a success. I got the rod bearing clearances confirmed – good-to-go. I checked the gaps on the piston rings – within spec - and filed the edges down at the gap for the compression rings. I installed all the rings in the piston grooves. I cleaned the oil cooler adapter and assembled it to the block with a new gasket. Using my ring compressor, I slid the number two piston into the oiled bore of its mating cylinder. Now comes my one step back. After oiling the rod bearing surfaces, I installed the piston/cylinder set into the engine and torqued the cap bolts to spec. As I stepped back to admire my progress, I said a bad word when it hit me I’d forgot to put the cylinder gasket in place. With that revelation, it was time to knock for dinner. Errands afterward kept me from spending any more time in the garage that evening.

While all this has been going on, Ariel has been cleaning shrouds in the driveway – a hot, nasty job, but it is her car.

No comments:

Post a Comment