Thursday, October 15, 2009

Back to Stock Carburetors

Last May, I had a Corvair carburetor expert relocate the jets in two spare carburetor bases. Doing this gave me carbs that wouldn’t be starved for fuel when I was going through high speed turns on the track. I rebuilt these carbs and installed them on Lucy. She did great at BeaveRun and for the following couple of months during my daily drives. Then in July one of the carbs acted like it was plugged. I swapped it out for one of the original ones and the engine ran normally.

I reported yesterday that Lucy’s engine was running rough, but I’d thought I’d fixed it with some high-rpm running. Well, I hadn’t. The problem came back even worse Monday on my drive home from work. Tuesday evening I discovered that the left three cylinders weren’t functioning, so off came the second modified carburetor and on went the second original one. Problem solved. I’ve contacted the expert and will probably send the carbs to him to diagnose and solve the problem(s).

Ariel drove Ringo home for the weekend and she returned to Millersville without issue. While she was here, I installed the bottom engine shrouds and repaired the heater control lever, so now she and her car are ready for winter. They made the roundtrip without issue – thank You Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment