Tuesday, October 20, 2009

New Shoes for Lucy

What a difference new tires make. Lucy hasn’t had a full set of new ones ever since I got her. The tires that came with her, while having plenty of tread, were dangerously cracked and aged. I pressed two decent spares into service and replaced the other two with new, stock size tires. Then, in December of 2007, I got the 280ZX wheels. After cleaning them up and replacing the valve stems, I drove around on the tires that were on the wheels for about a year – yes, junkyard tires. I even spent a long day on the Summit Point racetrack on those Dunlops. A year later, I decided I should replace the junkyard tires before the snow came. A quick trip to local used tire store lightened my wallet by $100 and got me four all-season radials with a reasonable amount of tread left. Now, nearly another year and 10,000 miles have passed and it’s time to break the bank and buy new tires. I did some shopping online and found a fairly limited selection in 195/70-14. I eventually settled on buying Yokohama AVID TRZs from Jim’s Racing Tires. With their 700 tread rating (80,000 miles warranty), these tires will probably outlast the car. Just think, I could double the mileage that’s currently on the odometer before they wear out.

My first drive after installation was on rainy, wet streets. Wow, no slipping and sliding; no tiptoeing through turns. The next day, on dry streets and highways, I could take the on and offramps at 45 with no hint of the backend coming out. Quite, quite fun!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment