Monday, October 26, 2009

Carburetor Expert Diagnosis and Repairs

I shipped my balky carbs to Wolf Enterprises last week. Following are excerpts from his work on them:

“I got the carbs and the problem was obvious. Whatever was used to seal the top vents had deteriorated and was throughout the carbs and was plugging the venturi clusters….
- removed one of the double gaskets under the inlet seat - throwing off the float settings (floats not level)
- very worn and leaking throttle shafts - put on seal kits
- one base vent always open (air leak) - removed, adjusted and replace
- chokes tripper arms on the throttle levers out of adjustment
- right carb fast idle speed adjustment on the cam
- replaced a cracked choke tripper lever”

So it appears the root of the problem was clogging caused by the epoxy I’d used when installing the vent tubes. I guess Loctite’s General Purpose epoxy is not impervious to gasoline. On the definite upside Grant fixed and tuned the carbs, so I’m quite excited about seeing how much nicer Lucy will run with excellently setup carburetors.

No comments:

Post a Comment