Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ringo's Tranny Ready for Fluid

Last night I was able to get the transmission put back together, but not without some frustration. The assembly of the valve bodies went well, as did the first install of the valve body into the transmission and its associated torquing of twenty bolts, but my first attempt to engage the ball on the end of the shifter cable into its cage in the tranny was a failure. After a few irritating minutes of struggle, I slid out from under the car and pulled out the spare Powerglide to see what I was missing. The cage moves on the mainshaft of the tranny as does the part that actuates the throttle valve. While axially separated, one had rotated relative to the other so that once the parts were slid along the shaft back into their proper places, they did not have proper range of rotation anymore. In other words, I was screwed. The only fix was to take out the twenty bolts while again retaining the main piston, adjust the actuators and reinstall the valve body and the twenty bolts. I did all this, but made sure the shifter would go into all positions properly before attaching the valve body. Once this was completed, I fished out a new pan gasket, put a skim coat of gasket sealer between the pan flange and the gasket and bolted the pan to the bottom of the Powerglide. By that time, it was nearing ten and time to call it a day.

Tonight, I’ll replace the o-ring on the governor with a new one, pour in a gallon or so of fresh ATF, and cross my fingers before taking Ringo for a road test.

No comments:

Post a Comment