Friday, September 11, 2009

Box of Parts, Box of Tools

Last night I went into the garage to prepare for tomorrow’s CORSA of Baltimore meeting. We’re gathering at a member’s garage for a working meeting where we’ll trouble-shoot his Rampside (Corvair pickup) problems and also work on our own vehicles. I’m hoping to take the opportunity to get some projects completed on Lucy. There’s now a tool box filled with wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets, etc. and one filled with all the parts (hopefully) required to: swap the alternator for the generator, install new heater ducts inside the rocker panels, and swap in the recently soaked and rebuilt racing carburetor. With Fall coming, only the heater duct job is a required project, while the other two are on the desired list.

Regarding the engine I bought last weekend. I decided to get a little more serious with torquing the crankshaft. The harmonic balancer has two threaded holes used for pulling it off. I stuck bolts into these holes and used a bar to pry out some more rotation. While I’m now getting about 90 degrees, it’s still jamming up in both directions. I poured some more Marvel’s Mystery Oil into each cylinder, so we’ll see how the saga continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment