Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Spare Engine is Procured

Saturday morning I checked out the engine in York, PA. It was fairly complete only missing a carburetor, but I couldn’t get it to turn using the crescent wrench the seller loaned me. Because of that, I was able to get it for $20 less than the list price. We shoved it on to my utility trailer and strapped it in place. After getting the engine home, I backed the trailer into the garage and commenced disassembly. I plan to use the alternator and associated bracket on Lucy to get rid of the heavy generator setup so that was the first item to come off and be checked out – the shaft turns freely without any looseness, so it’s in good shape. I already have the later adapter plate (see circled in picture) required to accommodate the alternator’s different hole locations. Next off were the spark plug leads, the carburetor, coil, and fuel pump followed by the shrouds and top cover. This exposed the cylinders and a nice, little, empty mouse nest that got disposed of. This was the extent of disassembly until I determine whether I can get the engine to free up. It was time to slide the engine off the pallet and onto my ATV jack that I use for moving, removing, and installing engines and drivetrain assemblies. I was able to make the transition without anything falling on my toes. I checked the top fan bearing by giving it a spin. The fan turns smoothly, but not too freely. This is an indication of a good bearing. With the plugs removed, I put a small mixture of Marvel’s Mystery Oil and 30 wgt engine oil into each cylinder to try and de-seize what I believe to be the rings to the cylinder walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment