Friday, September 4, 2009

Safe Travels - Replenishing the Spares

Quoting Brianna's text: "here! car ran perfect!"
Quoting my response: "Thank you and thank You Lord"

It's definitely a blessing from God when one of our forty-something year-old cars makes a three-hundred mile trip without an issue. So many things could go wrong. I'm so relieved when I get the text or call that they've arrived at their destination.

During my daily perusal of the local Craigslist, I came across an ad for, "1965 Corvair Engine for LSA - $100 (York, PA)." A phone call to the seller yielded the following information:
  • Bought for an airplane project (FYI: LSA=Light Sport Aircraft).
  • Still strapped to the pallet it was shipped on.
  • Ran when pulled from a car.
  • Don't know what it's got bolted to it.
  • Probably doesn't have all the sheetmetal shrouds.
  • Don't know the horsepower rating.

Since I'm running low on (or out of) spare engine parts and since the '65 engine is desirable, I set up an appointment to go up there Saturday morning. Hopefully, the engine is fully outfitted with carburetors, alternator, etc. This going to mean, however, that I'll need to get serious about getting of the parts on the shelves that I'll never have a need for. Stuff like ............???????? Hmmm. It's so hard for me (a hoarder of sorts) to decide what I'll never, ever need again. I know I won't need to keep three sets of pistons or two powerglide transmissions. Wait, maybe I should keep both trannies. This gleaning thing isn't easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment