Monday, November 30, 2009

A Long Weekend and a Short List

A short list of car tasks completed. Lucy got the most attention since I thought Brianna and Nich were going to take her back to Virginia (they didn’t, but took a Suburban full of Brianna’s stuff instead). I vacuumed the heater/defrost ducting, cleaned the windows, repaired the glove-box cardboard, installed Velcro to hold the package tray carpet in place, and checked the balance of the carburetors. The latter was accomplished using a 20’ length of clear plastic ¼” tubing with a couple teaspoons of Marvel’s Mystery Oil. I draped part of the tubing over the two rear corners of the raised engine lid forming a u in between with the oil sitting at the lowest point. Then, with the engine warmed up, I connected the open ends of the tubing to the vacuum ports on the base of each carb. The oil did not budge until I moved the throttle shaft slightly. With that little blip of the throttle, the oil started moving to the right. This showed me there is looseness in the left carburetor linkage allowing the right carb before the left one. I released the shaft. I then pulled slightly on the left carb’s linkage, and the oil started moving that direction. After releasing, the oil moved back to the center. All good signs indicating the carbs are balanced.

Ariel brought Ringo home for the long weekend, so I was able to replace the now-broken muffler strap with a new one I’d ordered from the Corvair Ranch.

Finally, Victoria and I worked hard to remove the main front-to-back brake line. This required us to take off the two tunnel covers and the air duct. I’m still amazed by how many differences there are between EMs and LMs.

No comments:

Post a Comment