Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thick is Better Than Thin


I finally tried out my new (to me) MIG welder today with mixed success. I had two different thicknesses of sheetmetal to practice on. I could make the nice bzzzzzzzz-ing noise welding on the thicker piece, but laying a good bead on the thinner one was a bit of a challenge. Until I turned the voltage setting down to 2, I did a lot of blowing out – making bigger holes out of tiny gaps. I did get a few decent-looking welds after some fiddling with the power and speed settings of the welder. The thinner sheetmetal, fortunately, is less than the typical Corvair body metal thickness, I should be able to make passable welds. Regardless, the flap discs are going to get a good workout smoothing things out once I'm welding on things that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment