Friday, January 8, 2010

PartsCar Teardown Commences

Last night I pushed PartsCar into the garage ahead of a snow event since dry pavement provides better footing than snow-covered. Proving that I actually own a digital camera and know its operation, I took a series of pictures which I’ve posted on Flickr. Too bad PartsCar is title-less since, at first glance, she appears fairly solid. Fulfilling her moniker, she’ll provide good parts for Glinda and Betty including fender lips and floorpans.

After taking pictures, I decided I needed open the trunk and see what surprises may be hidden there. Since I had no key, I needed to break in without breaking anything. After disassembling the right headlights and bucket, I was able to reach in and remove the three bolts retaining the trunk latch, and, after spinning off two of the nuts that held the grill bar and prying the grill bar back, the trunk opened to expose a nice surprise. Nestled in the crowded compartment were two vintage Keystone Klassic 13” wheels with four lug pattern for an early model Corvair. I should be able to sell them and possible for something more than Loriann paid for the car. On the downside, I broke the front grill-bar while “breaking into” the trunk. I wasn’t counting on using it anyway, but the loss still pissed me off. I was also disappointed to find that this car only had the single master cylinder setup instead of the dual I was hoping (planning) on swapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment