Thursday, March 17, 2011

Momentum is a Beautiful Thing


Evening two of my three-in-a-row went well. I photographed the front fender opening and patch (see above) and finished forming the long patch that will be plug welded to the lower flange of the curved rocker panel patch and then plug welded to the remaining interior vertical wall of the rocker. After trimming away excess metal from the patch, I drilled 5/16ths holes every three inches or so for the plug welds. I held the patch in place with vise grips while I marked the locations of each plug weld. With the patch out of the way and the wire wheel on the right angle grinder, I removed any coatings from the areas where weld metal would be touching. That included the perimeter of the two fender patches. With all that finished I sprayed the backs of the vertical rocker panel patch and the rear fender patch with galvanizing primer before turning off the lights.

Tonight I’ll be welding – with a charged extinguisher handy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tom, it's great to see you tackling the bodywork. I will be watching your progress. :) I hope to start cutting and welding this spring/summer.

    Karl

    ReplyDelete