Monday, December 7, 2009

Bodywork and Brakes

Fired up the kerosene heaters in the garage Sunday and got out the grinder. The flap disc made short work of smoothing out the welds on Heidi’s driver’s side patches. With the three done, I used the wire brush attachment on the grinder and removed the bondo and fiberglass that were temporarily holding the fourth patch in place. Then I rolled out the welder and an hour or so later, that last patch on that side was welded in and ground down to the level I wanted. A generous coat of rust converter on all the exposed metal and I left it to sit in the warmed up garage through dinner. After dinner, Victoria and I went out and installed Glinda’s replacement brake line. We had to make up the nine feet of length out of two lines by installing a coupling in between. We also had to bend the line into place. I’m glad only a week had gone by or I'd have forgotten where the bends needed to go.

It’s so much more fun working with someone else. Not just the extra set of hands, but the conversation and camaraderie. That’s what these Father-Daughter projects are all about. Quality time with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment