Thursday, December 3, 2009

CPotD #8 (Let's Take A Trip)



When I was only seven years old, my folks bought a new 1968 Volkswagen micro-bus (Type 2b in VW-speak). My dad immediately set about modifying it for camping. Out came the rear-most seat and in went a platform with a foam-rubber mattress, while the center seat was yanked and a homemade plywood camping box took its place. I don’t know where he got his inspiration, but Chevy dealers had been creating campers out of Corvair Greenbriers (their version of the micro-bus) since 1961.

At the 50th Anniversary celebration car show in Cape May, there was a Greenbrier camper with a unique pop-up roof. Sadly, I didn’t get a good picture of it. Since this grainy picture is not worthy of a CPotD, I conducted a semi-exhaustive search on the web for a better photo of this distinctive Greenbrier. I failed, but I did find today's CPotD of a beautiful camper in improbcat’s Flickr photostream. Click here to see all the photos improbcat posted of this vehicle including some of the modified interior.

Some more interesting info on the campers can be found here, here, and here. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment