Thursday, October 13, 2011

I’ve Run Out of Stuff to Scuff Plus Hershey

Last night, I set up my sawhorses and attacked the two doors with sandpaper; first with the DA sander, then by hand. The replacement passenger’s door has some dings, so I filled those with Everglass and the driver’s door had some rust bubbles on corners, so I neutralized the rust, and then coated the pock marks with a film of filler. With the doors set off to the side for the filler to cure, I turned my attention to the two grills. The first one, oily from sitting behind the engine, needed quite a bit of cleaning before it was ready for sanding. While cleaning, I discovered a tear in the flange where the grill bolts to the body. An opportunity to weld. I rolled my welding wagon out and had the tear patched and ground down in less than 15 minutes. Sanding between each of the slots was time consuming, but I was able to get the part prepped for paint as well as the grill that mounts at the base of the windshield before it was time to call it a day.

On a different subject, I spent last Saturday at the Antique Automobile Club of America’s Eastern Fall Meet otherwise known by the single word Hershey. For those that don’t know, this is THE mega-car get together on the east coast. Over the course of four days thousands of old car nuts visit hundreds of vendors selling old car parts and pieces, dream about owning one (or more) of the hundreds of cars for sale in the car corral, and drool over the hundreds of perfectly restored cars in Saturday’s judged show. Since we only had Saturday to spend there, my buddy Bill, his wife Moriah, and I spent almost all of the day walking the aisles of show. I took a couple hundred photos, but only a handful of Corvairs (see below). This year I only found three ‘vairs in the show, so not many photo opportunities. Guess we’re not quite at the point of Model As where there were dozens.

No comments:

Post a Comment