Thursday, June 24, 2010
Moved Up the Learning Curve a Little
Last evening, I went home to an empty house – one daughter was at work, while the lovely Loriann and the other occupants were at Hershey Park. Ah, an opportunity to spend some quality time in the garage. What to do? So much to choose from, but since I’m utterly sick of looking at Lucy’s holey, bumperless, two different colors of primer front end, that project was chosen. Even though the patch I’d tacked on two months ago had been unceremoniously ripped away during my tow back to the pits, it was salvageable. So, after a quick dinner, I pulled Lucy into the garage running her front tires up the ramps. I first re-shaped the patch and removed the primer from the perimeter. Then, with the brush attachment mounted in my grinder, I cleaned the perimeter of the opening on the car’s valance and fitted the patch using my big magnets. I installed the new spool of welding wire and went at it. I’m still on the low end of the learning curve with welding, so at this point I’m just trying to make welds that don’t’ fall off when I grind them flush. For the most part, I accomplished that last night. After hitting the welds with a flap wheel on my grinder, the patch stayed in place. The last task I could get to before bedtime was spraying on a light coat of primer.