Thursday, October 7, 2010

CPotD #159 (Cleanliness is Next to Godliness)


One of my favorite family activities is spending the day at an amusement park. I love the feeling I get as we near the park, especially the increase in heartrate that occurs with just the anticipation of the excitement that’s only minutes away. Some auto-related experiences affect me the same way: driving up to the entrance of a track for a day of time trialing; walking through the gates of a junkyard for an afternoon of hunting and pulling parts; and approaching the parking lot of a car show. Tomorrow, around 7 AM, I know that familiar, yet rare, sensation will be upon me full-force because at that time I’ll be parking Lucy in the large grassy field across Hershey Park Drive from one of the world’s biggest and best car shows and swap meet. The Antique Automobile Club of America’s Eastern Regional Fall Meet attracts car and truck enthusiasts from across the globe. Last year I heard at least a dozen different languages being spoken.

Tomorrow, my focus will be on the hundreds of vendors selling their parts and literature and the hundreds of cars for sale. My buddy, Bill, and I will put quite a few miles on our walking shoes as we pop from display to display looking for deals on those must-have parts and drooling over those can’t-afford cars.

Saturday is show day. Last year we passed all the crowds and started our day at the rear of the show field with the HPOF (Historical Preservation of Original Features) cars and trucks. By the time we made it to the front of the field, where the classics were on display, it was late in the day and many of the beauties had already left. This year we’re making sure we see all the Duesenbergs, Lincolns, Cadillacs, Cords, Packards, and Pierce-Arrows that attend. Follow me on Twitter as I'll be posting pictures throughout both days.

Not to say I won’t have my eye out for a nicely restored Corvair. I took today’s CPotD while walking the rows last year, and I’ve already posted a picture of another LM I saw on display. It is truly amazing to see cars from the 50’s, 60’s, and earlier looking as if they just rolled off the assembly line.

No comments:

Post a Comment