Wednesday, October 6, 2010

An Exhaustive Evening in the Garage

Last night I got home from work with the intention of installing the lower shrouds on both Lucy and Glinda. I didn’t quite get there.

After backing Glinda up onto the ramps, I climbed under the engine to feel for exhaust leaks. Sure enough, cylinder #5 was pulsing hot air from the exhaust tube to manifold junction. Given the louder than normal exhaust sounds, I had expected this and had already received new donuts. Not wanting to disturb the two manifold to crossover pipe joints, I supported the pipe with a jack whilst removing the six nuts, washers, and clamps. After loosening the muffler strap, I lowered the exhaust assembly and proceeded to remove the old donuts. That went easily for cylinders 1 through 4, but 5 and 6 were tough. In the end I chipped away as much as my patience allowed me and then attacked the residue with a wire brush attachment on my die grinder. I also had to scrape off the RTV the PO (see sidebar) had used to get the donuts to seal. An hour or so later, I was ready to reassemble. The graphite donuts were aligned over their respective holes and the assembly was lifted back into place. The six clamps were fitted and nuts torqued down after tightening the muffler strap. I turned the engine and on, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It is so much quieter. Gotta’ be the quietest ‘vair we’ve got. Since Clark’s instructions say to retighten the clamps after 5-6 hours of driving, I held off installing the shrouds.

Because Victoria said she smelled gas after driving the car and the gas gauge needle seems to be dropping too quickly, I tried to find a leak. I looked at the pump and lines in the engine compartment and all appeared dry. I then inspected the tank to line hose (the only hose I haven’t yet replaced). It’s dry and cracked, but wasn’t leaking. I will still replace it before Victoria puts any more gas in the tank – another project for tonight. All I can think is the carburetors are running rich. I need to rebuild the original carbs and get them back on ASAP to see if it makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment