Wednesday, October 13, 2010

CPotD #162 (DPC: It Might Be A Place For Me Someday)


As my buddy, Bill, and I attempted to look at every single vehicle that was on the show field last Saturday, we came upon a group of cars separated from the rest of the show. It was an eclectic group relegated to a corner of the field as far from the food booths as possible. Many different makes were represented with vintages from the 30’s up to the 70’s. Some were beautifully kept, while others had seen better days. The sign posted at the group’s location read “Driver Participation Class.” Here’s how the Antique Automobile Club of America defines the group.

“DRIVER PARTICIPATION CLASS (DPC): The AACA Board of Directors in 2000 established DPC to promote the showing and driving of antique vehicles which are not intended by their owners to be show vehicles and are described as "Drivers." This class is for vehicles 25 years of age or older that have not obtained a national first prize. …. This is a non-competitive class and will not be point judged, but vehicles will be certified upon passing a visual inspection.” They go on to specify, “The exterior/ interior/engine/chassis components must appear period correct per the original manufacturer.”

While Glinda, Heidi, and Ringo would fit in this class as they currently are, Lucy’s twenty year newer Datsun wheels would disqualify her since they’re not, “alloy wheels of the same era and/or same vehicle manufacturer.” I suppose I could, just to get her in a show, dig up four stock wheels with tires that hold air and slap on a set of wire wheelcovers. But I digress.

In the midst of these forty or so vehicles sat an immaculate Monza. Either a ’65 or ’66, it appeared to my never-been-an-AACA-judge eyes to be worthy of sitting amongst those being scored. I pored over the interior and exterior and closely inspected the engine compartment and trunk. Basically everything looked just the way the General intended. I only snapped one picture since I was being photo frugal with my limited sized memory card, but I really wanted to make Bill wait while I took a ton of pictures.

I know, I know. It's supposed to be Wacky Wednesday and the image at the top of this posting is definitely not wacky, but I'm still on a Hershey high (and I don't mean chocolate) so today’s CPotD is the photo I took of the DPC-classed Monza.

No comments:

Post a Comment