Thursday, October 7, 2010

Runnin’ on Empty - and Runnin' Out

Victoria has put about a hundred miles on Glinda since we got it. The car’s going through gas like a Hummer, not a Corvair. Last night I drained about 3 gallons out of the gas tank so I could replace the outlet fuel hose. When I was done I poured all the gas back in and found the gage read between E and an eighth of a tank. This morning she ran out of gas on the drive to school. I had put a half-full gas can in the trunk so she was able to pour it all in and get the rest of the way to school. The lovely Loriann is going out that way today and will pour a couple more gallons in the tank to ensure the car makes it to the gas station. Since I’ve replaced all the hoses, not seen any puddles, and checked all the lines and the pump in the engine compartment, all I can think that’s left is a leak in the line that runs through the tunnel. The gas leaks out and evaporates before dripping on the ground. So tonight I’ll put the car up on the ramps and pull the tunnel covers off and see what I can find. Since a new line costs about $80 (pre-bent plus $$$ shipping due to size), if I find a crack or rust hole, I’ll try to patch in some fuel hose. This roadification is a slow process.

No comments:

Post a Comment