Monday, October 25, 2010

Glinda's Weekend

Not to be completely ignored, Victoria and I did spend some time on her car trying to find and fix the source(s) of the leaks that left the front footwells flooded when I drove the car last. We removed the air grill from in front of the windshield. Then Victoria strategically placed herself on the front floor with light and towel in hands while I carefully placed the end of the running hose as far to the left of the cavity as possible. My intent was to start outboard and move in. After a few seconds, she saw water running into the car from a spot above the air vent. Out came the hose and out came the vent assembly. A little probing turned up a rusted out area of sheetmetal wall that will have to be cleaned up, primed, painted, and plugged. Next we moved to the driver’s side. It took a little longer, but we found two leaks through a body seam where the factory applied sealer had failed. Using a screwdriver we cleaned out all occurrences of sealer which I’ll replace with good Silicone RTV. At that point Victoria had a babysitting job to go to, so we moved the car back to the street while I worked on Lucy.

Later in the weekend, I put Glinda back in the garage since the forecast for a chance of rain today and tomorrow mean she needs to be under cover. No more flooding of the new carpet allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment