Tuesday, April 27, 2010

CPotD #93 (A Cradle for this Baby)


I’ve written about the Bill Thomas/Doug Roe car before, but other than posting some links to well written histories, I didn’t have much to say at the time. Today, I’m featuring it for Track Day Tuesday’s CPotD. There are many performance improvements applied to this car that are worth discussing, but I’m limiting my comments to the re-engineering that allows the removal of the rear panel.

Every Corvair left the factory with the engine supported at its rear by a centrally located engine mount. Obviously, the car in today’s photo has changed things. A cradle was built to hold the engine. This makes it easier for engine swaps. Quite a bit of tube framing has been added to meet the structural requirements. A mechanical engineer such as myself appreciates this level of ingenuity – or is it enginuity?

No comments:

Post a Comment