Monday, April 12, 2010

The List Grows Shorter

I had a productive weekend. Saturday evening, I went out to the driveway and swapped carbs out on Lucy. I’m trying to find out if the missing I’m feeling at high rpm under load is carb related or not. The swap wasn’t straightforward. The right side carb (most recently with problems on Ringo, but subsequently rebuilt) had an issue with the needle and seat causing the bowl to overfill (may have been Ringo’s problem). I swapped back one of the previous carb covers and everything ran right. I synchronized the carbs using my clear-tubing-with-some-Marvel-Mystery-Oil-inside tool and adjusted the idle and all was good.

Sunday afternoon was spent doing my master cylinder swap. I first blew out all the old brake fluid, and then installed the bench-bled master cylinder and hooked up the lines.
After making one more bend in the line under the dash it was time to bleed the system. An hour plus later, and thanks to Mikhaila and Victoria’s help, I finally had a good, hard pedal. A few trips up and down the driveway, and I was confident the brakes were functioning properly.

With that project complete I turned my attention to finding where the oil leak was that had created the large puddle in the driveway. It looks like a leaky valve cover gasket, but I ran out of time to do the replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment