Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Any Betty Progress Is A Good Thing

After the inspiring plan I shared yesterday, I left work at a decent hour and was able to squeeze out a couple hours of car-time. First thing I wanted to do was go around New Betty and make sure she’s as solid as I believed. With a magnet I went around the entire car to check for the presence of Bondo. The magnet only fell off in a couple of places. Did the same test on Old Betty and the only place the magnet wouldn’t stick is the entire floor. The last check will be putting New Betty up on jackstands and thoroughly inspecting the rocker panels. I’ll need to work that in concert with getting Glinda off the jackstands since I don’t have eight jackstands. Speaking of getting Glinda off the jackstands, Victoria sure is anxious to get her car on the road. Hopefully we'll have the opportunity this weekend.

After my magnet test was completed, I removed the broken window from the driver’s door and vacuumed out the door cavity. Next I went out to Old Betty and removed her driver’s door window and installed it into New Betty. The installation part was quite a chore getting everything to line back up working in a confined space with the minimum amount of access. Add in the sharp edges at each of the door openings, and you have a recipe for a frustrating endeavor. It took persevering through much jiggling and jostling and putting in and taking out screws, but I was able to prevail. The window now goes up and down.

No comments:

Post a Comment